You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘natural’ tag.
The flu is, was, and will forever stalk us through the changing seasons. Lisa Guy writes about the benefits of eating vitamin rich foods for protecting children while they’re at school and beyond.
But why just worry about the kids?! Protect yourself by stocking up on these top five immunity boosting nutrients! Thanks to Lisa for this partial list. Read her full article here.
- Vitamin C: fruit such as citrus (oranges, guava) and coloured berries (strawberries, blueberries and boysenberries) are excellent sources of vitamin C. Vegetables such as red capsicums, parsley, broccoli and cabbage are also rich sources of Vitamin C.
- Zinc: zinc is found in a wide variety of foods. The best sources of zinc include cheese, brewers yeast, egg yolks, legumes (soy beans, lima beans, lentils, peas), wholegrains (bread), sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and pecans. A moderate amount of zinc is found in vegetables.
- Vitamin A and beta-carotene: milk and egg yolk contain vitamin A while beta-carotene is found in high levels in yellow and orange fruits and vegetables such as carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, apricots, mangoes and green leafy vegetables.
- Vitamin E: foods rich in vitamin E include wheatgerm, whole oats, cold pressed olive oil, fruits, dark green leafy vegetables, avocado, eggs and raw nuts and seeds.
- Omega-3 FAs: Omega-3 FAs are found in flaxseed oil, canola, soy, and walnut oils, dark green vegetables, parsley, seaweeds, nuts, seeds (pumpkin and sesame seeds, tahini), legumes (hummus), and wholegrain cereals.
Natural hair care products abound at health food stores, salons, and organic markets. From Aveda to Dr. Hauschka, there is an endless variety of shampoos and conditioners to choose from. But what’s a noodle head like myself to do when none of these formulas are a) for curly hair and b) affordable?
My first instinct was to develop my own formula or try to go no-poo. But with my dry, frizzy, and thick hair, I found that home concoctions and au natural approaches were not going to cut it. So I began the hunt. Month after month, year after year I tried everything from Trader Joe’s house brands to pricey salon lines and even simple cake soaps, but with no success. All these products left my hair dry, my curls limp, and my pocketbook empty.
But then, this past August, I stumbled upon Naked Natural’s Shea Butter and Avocado line. Discovered at the end of a Target aisle, on the bottom of a shelf, I was instantly drawn to the simple packaging, blue bottle, and name. Shea butter and avocado are a kinky-haired girls dream come true! And if that weren’t enough, after picking up the bottles and inspecting the backs, I found myself higher than cloud nine. Not only are the ingredients natural and plant derived, Naked Naturals boasts the following list of ethical practices:
- No Lauryl or Laureth Sulfates
- No DEA or TEA
- No Animal By-products
- No Artificial Colors
- No Synthetic Fragrance
- No Harsh Chemicals
- Not Tested on Animals
I couldn’t believe my eyes! No animal testing, chemicals, or damaging ingredients…I had to have it! So I snatched up two bottles, priced at less than $6 each, and ran to my shower to give them a test run. Two months later, I am happy to report that my locks are lush, frizz less, twisted coils of perfection!
If you’re a curly headed guy or gal like me, head over to Naked Natural’s website to learn more about their products, and to find their haircare in a store near you!
Summer is here! The sun is ablaze, the beaches and parks are swarming, and so are mosquitoes. If you’re looking for a safe, natural, and green alternative to traditional toxic bug sprays, look no further than Apple Cider Vinegar.
This wonderous liquid does more than add punch to a salad. When taken daily, the potent vinegar helps to repel female mosquitoes, leaving you to enjoy the beautiful summer nights bite free! It can also be added to your furry best friend’s food to keep away pests like ticks and fleas.
A teaspoon a day will keep the critters away!
Check out my favorite brand of organic Apple Cider Vinegar: Bragg’s.
To learn more about the many health benefits of ACV, like diabetes treatment, acne irridication, and weight management, check out this article.